Today I am going to celebrate one of the finest Italian composer, Gioacchino Rossini who wrote beloved operas like The Barber of Sevilla, Cinderella, William Tell. Rossini was not only a composer, but a foodie as well, that is way I intend to remember him with a recipe of my invention.
Born in Pesaro (Central Italy) in 1792, he spent most of his creative life in Paris, without forgetting the Italian specialties that he got directly form Italy: Gorgonzola, Panettone and truffles, he was crazy for truffles.
Rossini was also an excellent cook and in his time in Paris he became very close to Antonin Carême the greatest chef of his time.
Most probably chef Careme was the one that invented the famous tournedos Rossini, an elaborate, cholesterole bursting dish that involves filet mignon, bread fried in butter and foies gras. The filet mignon that I present here is more healthy and even suitable for diet if you don’t use the pancetta.
Bacon crust torneados on a bed of pureed broccoli and burrata.
4 Tournedos, 150 gr. each
8 slices unsmoked bacon
500 gr. broccoli
1 tablespoon of whole milk
4 spoonfuls of olive oil
- In a food processor, combine the burrata with the milk and blend until smooth.
- Steam the broccoli until is tender, than blend to a smooth purée with two spoonful of olive oil and keep it warm while you are preparing the tournedos.
- Wrap bacon slices around the circumference of each tournedos; tie with kitchen twine.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet with two spoonful of olive oil over high heat until it starts to smoke. Season tournedos with salt and pepper and place in skillet. Cook, without moving, for about 2 minutes. Rotate tournedos and cook for two more minutes. Repeat process two more times until bacon is well cooked.
- Plating instructions: on a warm plate, prepare a bed of broccoli puree where you carefully set your tournedos. Place dots of burrata sauce using a small spoon or a piping bag.
1 thought on “Bacon crust torneados on a bed of pureed broccoli and burrata”
Devo ricordarmi di fare i pureed broccoli! Mi piacciono e sono un vero superfood.
LikeLiked by 1 person